October 3, 2012

Guest Post: Frame(s) of Reference

Today is Becca's third guest post, and it's a really fun project. Becca has been my best friend since we were kids, and we spent much of our childhood running around her farm hopping hay bails and riding golf carts. We lived in the country and her dad was (and still is) a tomato farmer -- amongst many other vegetables -- as she often reminds me, but tomatoes are his main crop. My dad is also a farmer, but just for fun. Did I mention that our dad's are also childhood best friends? They played on the basketball team together, were members of the FFA (Future Farmers of America) and ended up getting married around the same time and having daughters the same year. So I like to think they knew we'd be best friends before we were even born. Anyway, the point of me telling you all of this is that Becca's third post really takes me back to those days, and I love it. Hope you guys do too! 

A month ago I was visiting my parents. As usual, Dad and I set out to pick some fresh veggies on the farm. Once we got to the Packing House to wash off the zucchini and squash, I noticed a scrap pile of wood that was to be hauled off the next day. He helped me pack up these pieces of wood that were previously used to hold pallet shipments together. I saw potential in what others viewed as trash.

Last Thomasville trip, Justin and I found some really cool wrapping paper at The Bookshelf. (You can also find Lucy and Leo’s cupcakes here). I immediately knew at $3 each, they would make great pictures, once framed.

This past weekend, Justin and I went to our friend Walter’s house, as he is a wonderful “handy man” with lots of fantastic tools. He was extremely helpful in teaching us how to properly use them. We started with several pieces of the scrap wood and cut them to the correct size with a table saw. 
Lucky for us, the wood pieces already had a groove, which we knew would help, once we added the wrapping paper to the frames. Next, we used a miter saw to angle the edges of the wood pieces at 45°, so they would connect on each side. A nail gun came in handy when we needed to connect the edges of the wood to form the frame. 

Once I got these homemade, wooden frames back to my house, I stained them with Minwax Wood Finish in Dark Walnut. I used an old wash cloth to rub some of the stain off to make it lighter. I decided not to sand the wood as it added a more rustic feel. Once the stain dried overnight, I used a picture hanging set from Ace Hardware that included eyes to screw into the frame, the wire to thread through the loop of the eye and the hangers that were nailed into the wall.
The wrapping papers were rolled out and adhered to foam core board with spray glue, to add support. Lastly, I slid the poster into the frame, secured the back, hung and voilá; pieces of wrapping paper, pretty as a picture in homemade frames add so much character to my dining area and living room.
I only had to shell out $6 for wrapping papers, $4 for wood stain and $3 for the picture hanging set. At $6.50 each, I’m happy to have two new art pieces in my home. Doesn’t making things yourself make them much more special?

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome project, Becca! Amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete