August 22, 2012

The Power of Paint

Apologies for my lack of posting recently, this week has been crazy busy. Last weekend I spent some time helping my boyfriend get settled into his new apartment -- an apartment in which one very crazy landlord thinks it's ok to rent a place with nearly every wall a different color. Like I said, CRAZY. I worked for a property management company all through college and I have never seen a place rented in this state.
Luckily, I absolutely love to paint. It's an amazingly affordable way to transform a room, and the results generally provide instant gratification.
As you can see, this place was in DIRE need of a revamp. But it's nothing a few cans of paint and a few hours of hard work couldn't fix. We spent a total of $100 (which I was able to negotiate as a discount on rent with the landlord in exchange for doing the work) on Glidden Paint and Primer in one. I splurge for the good stuff, which results in better coverage meaning fewer coats! It's a good idea to get a primer and paint combo if you're painting over various colors to ensure even tone of your new color. I prefer semi-gloss as I don't like matte or high gloss indoors, but still like a bit of sheen. They are also easy to clean, and let's face it, spills always happen. The last thing you want is to wash away a finish on a wall while cleaning it. On another note, you can always get the color you like color matched to a different brand. I usually love Martha Stewart's colors, but I do not love her price point, so I have her colors matched to Glidden paint, which is significantly cheaper, but still great quality.
I chose a warm gray for the living area, which I love. I'm really on a gray meets gold kick right now, and I don't see it going away any time soon. It's my favorite color combination. I envision adding gold frames to define the entry with a welcoming console table for keys and mail, a lamp and a place for magazines.
It's nowhere near finished, but I like the direction it's headed. And it's a thousand times better than before! I'll be sure to update you guys on the progress of the place as we move along. I still need to get and lay rugs, determine a furniture placement that makes the most sense, and hang curtains and art, to name a few.

Don't forget to tune in tomorrow for Amity's guest post!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more with your love of gray paint :)

    ReplyDelete