August 13, 2012

Reveal: Thrift Store Dresser

It's no secret that redoing furniture is one of my favorite pastimes, so when my friend Sarah asked me to help her transform her thrift store find into a vintage masterpiece I jumped at the opportunity.
The skies were blue and the sun was out which set the scene for a perfect paint party. Here's the dresser before we started working on it. (I didn't snap a picture of the dresser with the drawers in it beforehand)
For this guy, I envisioned tone on tone color-blocking to separate the drawers from the dresser itself, just to make them pop a little. I wanted to keep the tones of color similar as we were aiming to achieve a shabby chic feel and color-blocking wasn't exactly furniture friendly in the 40's. Ultimately, I went with a warm cream for the drawer fronts and a soft gray for the dresser base. Together I think they exude vintage charm.
To give the piece an aged look, I ran over the edges a few times with my sander and did a bit of light hand sanding around the edges of the base. I have to say, this may be one of my favorite furniture projects ever. I absolutely love how it turned out, and Sarah loved it too. And a happy client is always the end goal.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @trimandtailored, and you can also email me at trimmedandtailored@gmail.com if you want additional information on any projects you've seen here.

4 comments: