January 29, 2013

Getting Settled In

No matter how many times you move, it never gets easier. Your packing gets more organized as you go, which makes unpacking a whole lot faster, but the actual process of moving is incredibly draining. I've never hired movers, and I don't think I ever will, unless we move across or out of the country. I guess it's the heart of a DIYer to do everything yourself. After all, money saved not hiring movers can be put into future projects!

With that being said, once the moving part is over, the fun begins -- the decorating. It is such an exhilarating feeling for me when I look at four blank walls in a room and I get to do whatever I want with them. It feels like a puzzle initially, figuring out furniture placement, but once you get to incorporating colors, fabrics and accessories -- I could play all day. And sometimes I do.

So here is how our house is starting to shape up. (Remember this was all about a month ago, so things have changed quite a bit since then, but I want to keep the blog posts similar to the actual steps of design to show an accurate depiction of the evolution of the rooms).

Please be forgiving, I'm keeping these posts very real. I haven't really ever shared rooms that weren't clean and organized, so this is definitely a little scary!

The Kitchen Stage 1:
The Living Room Stage 1:
Our Bedroom Stage 1:
Hall Closet Stage 1:
Guest Room/Office Stage 1:

There wasn't really a method as to where furniture was placed initially. We mainly just focused on putting things in the rooms they would eventually live in a somewhat organized fashion. I'll dive more into the reasoning for layouts in stages 2 and 3, which will come later this week and next week. Of course, I have lots of fun projects to share along the way, so stay tuned!

1 comment: